APPLY TO SUMMERBRIDGE!
Each year we accept 37 sixth graders from nearly 30 public and parochial middle schools in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our students represent the diversity of the Bay Area and have had a range of academic preparation. In general, Summerbridge students:
- are self-directed and motivated
- have a goal of attending college
- demonstrate academic promise
- have a firm commitment to learning and value education
- have a compelling economic need for a tuition free program
While Summerbridge students each come to the program with different needs, our goal is that all students leave with the academic skills that will prepare them for successful experiences at rigorous college-preparatory high school programs.
Required Family Commitment:
- THREE consecutive six-week summer sessions. Daily attendance is mandatory.
- Student attends school year program (15 weeks each semester). Weekly attendance is mandatory.
- At least one afternoon per week English and math enrichment classes (ALL students)
- SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) preparation class for eighth-grade students (after school sessions and two Saturday sessions)
- Tutoring offered Monday–Thursday (optional unless student earns a B- or lower in any academic course)
- High school placement program for eighth-grade students and families.
- Summerbridge Family Association meetings for parents and guardians take place about four times per year; attendance is mandatory.
Important 2017 Application Dates:
- The Summerbridge 2017 application is now available online. However, please fill out the online inquiry form (pre-application) first. Once you have done that, you can print the application and either mail it in or drop it off at our Summerbridge office at University High School (3065 Jackson St., San Francisco, CA 94115). You can submit the Summerbridge application by one of two deadlines: Friday, January 27, 2017 or Friday, March 3, 2017. All applications are considered equally. For more information on the application, please visit our Summerbridge FAQ page.
- We ask that you RSVP for one of two open houses when you complete your inquiry form. This year, the open houses will be held on Saturday, January 21, from 1:00–2:30 p.m. and Tuesday, February 7, from 6:00-7:30 p.m. at University High School (3065 Jackson St., San Francisco, CA 94115).
- The 2017 summer program will run from Tuesday, June 20–Wednesday, August 2.
If you have any questions, please contact Deundra C. Hundon, director of outreach and family relations, at (415) 447-3126 or firstname.lastname@example.org.