I am excited to announce a new tradition at UHS called Alumni Honors, designed to recognize and acknowledge the contributions of alumni who embody our core values of inquiry, care, integrity, agency, and interconnection.
Each year, Alumni Honors will celebrate one young alumnus/alumna who is an emerging leader in his/her/their field and is already making important contributions at a local, national, or international level through personal accomplishment, professional achievement, or humanitarian service.
We invite our entire community to nominate candidates: alumni, current students, current and past parents, and current and past faculty/staff.
The chair of Alumni Honors is Leonard Chung ’98. An inspiring role model himself, Leonard is driven by a passion for innovation and people. He is the founder and CEO of Chava, a company automating collaboration through AI and cognitive science, and has been recognized for identifying emerging markets and launching successful products with a particular focus in SaaS, Cloud Computing, and Big Data. Leonard developed first gen products at SETI@home, Scale8, IBM, and Microsoft, and was the Founder & CEO of Syncplicity.
“Like most of us, my love of learning was nurtured at UHS,” says Leonard. “University gave me the early confidence and skills to pursue my interests beyond the classroom. Through Alumni Honors, we want to recognize in our young alumni that sense of agency, taking risks and growing from the experience and pursuing passions with confidence, creativity, and humility. We look forward to learning stories of trial, error, and innovation so we can all learn through their example.”
The selection committee includes:
- Julayne (Austin) Virgil ’94, trustee and president of the UHS Alumni Association
- Oscar Flores ’89, co-chair of the Summerbridge Annual Fund
- Frances Hochschild ’80, P’21, co-chair of the Alumni Annual Fund
- Thomas McKinley ’02, co-chair of the Alumni Annual Fund
- Marianna Stark ’89, UHS director of alumni engagement and giving
- Andrew Williams ’00, UHS director of community engagement
- Jane Prior, president of the UHS Board of Trustees
- Julia Russell Eells, head of school
Nominations for 2018 will be accepted through January 31, 2018. Please submit your nominations through our online form.