Since our founding, UHS has maintained a community of equity and excellence by admitting students of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and talents, regardless of their financial means. To fulfill this commitment, UHS maintains a strong financial aid program and allocates a significant portion of our annual budget to financial aid. In 2018–2019, 24% of our student body will receive about $3.2 million in financial aid. We award grants to our students each year based upon their family's demonstrated need and the school's available funds. Admission decisions and financial aid decisions are made separately; applicants are evaluated for admission without regard to a request for aid.
The Financial Aid Application:
All application materials must be uploaded to the School & Student Services website, the third party organization that most Bay Area independent schools use in their financial aid process. Instructions below (click for a downloadable UHS Financial Aid Application Checklist). We strongly encourage families to begin preparing your tax returns as soon as possible.
Please return to this page in August 2018 for an updated timeline for the 2018-19 Admissions Season
By January 11, 2018:
- Beginning Monday, October 2, 2017: Please go to the School & Student Services website at www.sssbynais.org/parents and create an account. You will use this account to upload all of your financial aid application components. *Note for divorced or separated parents, or never-married parents living apart: a separate financial aid application must be submitted for each household.
- Parents' Financial Statement (PFS): Beginning Monday, October 2, the PFS will go live for the 2018–2019 school year at www.sssbynais.org/parents. Complete and submit your PFS electronically. Contact SSS by calling NAIS customer service at (800) 344-8328 for answers to questions about completing the PFS. Our SSS School Code is 7108.
- UHS Coversheet: Writable PDF—download, complete, and upload to your SSS website account.
- 2016 Federal Tax Return 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ: Upload to your SSS website account.
- 2016 Form W-2/1099: Upload to your SSS website account.
- IRS Form 4506-T: Signed and un-dated; one for each tax return provided; upload to SSS website account.
- Letter of Family Circumstance: If a letter of explanation would help us better understand your situation, please include it with the rest of your application by uploading to your SSS website account.
- Federal Business Tax Return: If applicable. Upload to your SSS website account with all pages and all schedules of Forms 1065, 1120, or 1120s, as well as any K-1, as applicable.
By February 9, 2018:
* Reminder: Upload to your SSS by NAIS website account:
- 2017 Federal Tax Return 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ with all documents. *An informed estimate is sufficient for the 2017 tax return as we realize all documents required for filing may not be available in February. However, a 2017 1040 must be completed and submitted in order to be considered for financial aid. The application is considered incomplete without it and all pertinent schedules and documents.
- 2017 Form W-2/1099
Please check out our Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions. For more information and any questions, please contact Aaron Mieszczanski, director of admissions and financial aid, at (415) 447-3104 or email@example.com.