It's Lit: Festival of Storytelling
On Friday, May 6, 2022, UHS will host its first-ever literary festival to celebrate storytelling in its myriad forms. General session will showcase three speakers, including the recipients of Alumni Honors. The day will also feature workshops and talks by writing professionals who will explore and reveal the various ways we tell stories from the page to the stage. Focus genres include prose, poetry, songwriting, screenwriting, journalism, and much more! This event is open to alumni as part of Reunion Weekend.
READ THE BELOW SPEAKER BIOS BELOW TO MAKE YOUR BREAKOUT SESSION SELECTIONS. Click here to register for TWO breakout sessions. Questions? Contact Scott Laughlin, UHS English Instructor, or Marianna Stark '89, director of alumni engagement and giving.
- Arthur Flowers (KEYNOTE), novelist, Bluesman, griot
- Katharine Gin '90, political and personal power of storytelling, with Steve Li and Marithza Quiroz
- Screenwriting: Amyn Kaderali '90 + Ana Telfer '17
- CORPORATE Communications: Ulysses King '96 + Tomicia Blunt '17
- Fiction: Ethan Canin '78 + Hannah Kingsley-Ma '09
- NON-Fiction: Ben Tarnoff '03 + Jesse Berrett, UHS History Instructor
- Children's Literature: Annie Barrows
- Publishing: Laura Cogan, editor + Pete Mulvihill, Green Apple Books + Nandita Dinesh, author and UHS instructor, moderated by Scott Laughlin, UHS English Instructor
- Songwriting: Bob Hillman
- SPOKEN WORD: Slam, performance poetry
- Improv poetry with typewriters: Silvi Alcivar
- Fiction & Non-Fiction: Sarah Ladipo Manyika P '18 + CHRISTINE HUANG, UHS ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR
- FIELD TRIP: THE BOOK AS ART- ARION PRESS- with Adrian Acu, English Instructor