As an academic department, our curriculum is designed to allow students to develop both the understanding and the creation of the arts. Every graduate of UHS has a hands-on experience in the arts, as well as a historical context for the discipline. The Course Catalog explains our curriculum in greater detail. In addition to our strong curriculum, the Arts faculty is proud to present an exciting program of events. We invite you to attend our performances, exhibits, and concerts, as this is the best way for you to experience our program. The vibrancy and energy of these events are a reflection of what students and teachers experience in our classrooms everyday. Our Arts Calendar can keep you up to date on our events.
Overview of the Arts Department:
- Over 75% of the student body is enrolled in arts classes
- We offer over 35 arts classes
- Over 80% of students take more than the minimum graduation requirement for the arts
- We host three theater productions, six art openings, and four music concerts every year
- A large percentage of the school’s Independent Studies projects are sponsored by the Arts faculty
- We have nine Arts faculty members: seven full-time teachers and two part-time teachers; the Arts faculty are trained specifically in the disciplines that they teach
Arts Department Chair
UPCOMING ARTS EVENTS:
The Student Drama Series
by students in the Advanced Projects in Theatre class
Friday, March 2
for TWO showings
at 4:00 & 7:00 p.m.
in (and around!) the UHS Theater
Admission is FREE!