2020 Electronic Music Class Project 2, Song 4 Podcast
Our extensive and varied UHS Music Program allows students to explore both instrumental and vocal music. We offer classes that cater to students with all levels of experience, from those who are just beginning to those who are already quite advanced. Students have the opportunity to perform at the four school concerts we host, as well as other venues throughout the region. Field trips allow students to experience live performances of a variety of styles of music in the Bay Area.
In the UHS Music Program, You Can:
- Learn a new musical instrument (such as sax, flute, trumpet, trombone, drums, piano, and electric bass)
- Learn to sing and read music and perform in ensemble groups designed for all ability levels
- Conduct a musical group
- Compose, arrange, and digitially record an original piece, and post it on the school website
- Take an Advanced Placement Music Theory class
- Develop your unique musical voice through the Independent Study Program
Music Beyond UHS:
In addition to performing regularly on campus, our musical groups play in outside venues:
- The Jazz Ensemble has been featured on KQED’s West Coast Weekend, and has performed in the Santa Cruz, San Mateo, C.S.U. East Bay, and Reno Jazz Festivals
- The group recorded the album "In Full Swing," at the world famous Fantasy Studios in Berkeley
- Camerata has performed in the Chanticleer Choral Festival, Junior Bach Festival, and at local service agencies
- Small student-led groups of advanced musicians regularly perform in a variety of venues in San Francisco, including Davies Hall and the Church of John Coltrane
Facilities and Resources:
Our music facilities are regularly updated. Some features include:
- Two new soundproof music classrooms: specifically designed spaces to house our larger ensembles, as well as our more intimate chamber groups
- A midi lab/recording studio that houses powerhouse digital audio work stations that are loaded with state-of-the-art software
- Ample storage for our collection of instruments that include: five pianos; two synthesizers; three digital keyboards; a harpsichord; and a variety of woodwind, brass, string, and percussion instruments
- A music library that houses our expansive collection of sheet music
UHS Fall Concert at the UHS Theater. November 7 2019 at 7PM.
Jazz and Contemporary Music Ensemble
Four original pieces by UHS students realized in the UHS MidiLab/Recording Studio.