Our UHS Visual Arts Program offers both breadth and depth in the disciplines of 2D design: painting and drawing; 3D design: ceramics and sculpture; and photography. The Visual Arts faculty hosts six art exhibits a year, with student artwork highlighted at the winter and spring arts shows.
In the Visual Arts, You Can:
- Learn fundamental skills in drawing, painting, ceramics, and photography
- Mature into a creative and conceptual thinker
- Refine your skills in media and visual literacy
- Explore different media and create multi-media works
- Curate an art show or host a film screening
Visual Arts Beyond UHS:
Our Visual Arts faculty has a commitment to the professional art world. In addition to working as professionals in their respective fields, the faculty curate a professional gallery that showcases Bay Area artists.
- We bring in guest artists and live models to work with our students
- Our classes regularly visit Bay Area museums and galleries
- Many of our arts students are named California Arts Scholars, through their attendance at the California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA)
Facilities and Resources:
Our “South Campus” is a three-story building largely dedicated to the Visual Arts. Some highlights include:
- A spacious painting and drawing studio with plenty of natural light
- A ceramics studio with 10 pottery wheels, three outdoor kilns, and a large indoor work area
- In the photography studio, a wet darkroom equipped with 14 enlargers
- A digital photography computer lab with 14 work stations
- Classrooms outfitted for slide and digital projector use
- An image library with thousands of digital and slide images
- A collection of 35-mm cameras, digital cameras, and lighting equipment for student use
- Additional gallery space, with potential for a rooftop sculpture garden
UPCOMING ARTS EVENTS:
Please join us for the final arts event of the year, The Spring Arts Festival, on Tuesday, May 22.
All are invited, and admission is FREE!
Visual Arts Opening Reception, from 6:00–7:30 p.m. in the Jackson Street Gallery
Spring Concert at 7:30 p.m. in the UHS Theatre
Tea and Cookies Reception to follow (about 9:30 p.m.) in the Student Center